Hi there! I’m Jessica, the “Catholic Parenting Lady,” and I’m so happy you’re visiting.
I’m passionate about motherhood. Especially Catholic motherhood. And I love helping other mothers find joy and rest in their vocation.
Exploring Gentle Discipline from a uniquely Catholic perspective has given me a peace and freedom to actually enjoy my children. And it’s a message I want to shout from the rooftops! You can LOVE mothering! You can let go, lean into God, and find JOY in watching Him work in your children. Instead of discipline being a battle, you can actually be on the same side.
And you can find sainthood in this messy, noisy, stinky and sleep-deprived, beautiful vocation.
And humor. Lots and lots of facepalming humor.
“There’s never really a ‘good time’ to have a baby.” Just a few days after getting married, the Holy Spirit used those words from a friend to change my perception from contracepting, to being open to life.
6 years and 3 babies later, I am so thankful. I can’t imagine any of my children not being here!
I stay at home, which means I’m around the kids pretty much 24/7 and have ample opportunity to learn from my own mistakes. And boy, do I have a long string of mistakes!
I am a recovering weary and burdened “yeller.” The more I pray, ponder, study scripture and turn my children over to God, the more comfortably I settle into that elusive rest hiding in my vocation.
“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.” Matthew 11:28-30
Between the dishes, and the homeschooling and the errands and the blogging, I try to carve out time for other creative projects. After my second daughter was born, I learned to paint from YouTube tutorials… and have fallen completely in love with it!
I wrote and Illustrated my own children’s book, and have been featured in two different “Chicken Soup for the Soul” books.
Around here, in addition to weekly posts about motherhood, you’ll find lots of fun downloads and printables… there’s always something being created!
BTW See this handsome guy? In addition to being the love of my life, he’s the blood and sweat (I’m the tears) who makes this family possible. He supports us financially, emotionally, and technologically. (running a website is hard!) Remember this face. It will be on a holy card someday. 😊
Snoopy enough to want to know more?
Here are 10 random facts:
- I’m weaning myself off coffee… and have been saying that for 10 years.
2. I got a C in Latin class… I even though I was homeschooled all the way through highschool, and grew up attending the Latin Mass.
3. I could lose myself shopping for Montessori materials.
4. I’m obsessed with the idea of moving to the country and keeping milk goats. Maybe I should actually taste goat milk first?
5. Baby wearing makes me feel like a rockstar. I have a distinct babywearing strut.
6. I love to polka.
7. I cringe every time I hear the choir rhyme “Agnus Dei” with “You take away-ee.”
8. Bread. Bread. Bread. Bread. Bread. I would DIE going gluten free.
9. If I could be any fictional character, it would come down to Belle from Beauty and the Best, or Mara Jade from the Star Wars books (of which I collected the majority. Hey, I was homeschooled, remember?)
10. I secretly love it when all my children have crawled in bed with me during the night. Shh, don’t tell them that.